The History Of Ladygrove Mill.
The original Part of the mill was built in 1785 by a tenant farmer and mineral agent by the name of Abraham Flint, who unfortunately ran out of money before the mill was completed. Daniel Dakeyne, the land owner (who's family had been Derbyshire land owners since the 14th Century) and resident of Knabb Hall (situated behind the mill) took possession of the in-completed mill.
By 1787 Daniel had formed a new company, Daniel Dakeyne & Co Cotton Spinners. It is not known when the mill was built precisely but certainly some years before 1794 due to a patent he took out regarding a machine for straightening flax fibres. The largest part of the mill as we see it today (the left wing) was built in 1826 by James and Edward Dakeyne, sons of Daniel. The Mill remained in use as a cotton and flax mill until the late 19th Century with a turbulent story of success and failure whilst also remaining in the Dakeyne family. Since then it was rented by a glove manufacturer, JT Hope brothers, twine and string manufacturers from Manchester were the next tenants. Hope brothers left the mill in 1901. In 1913 a local furrier moved in but soon after the outbreak of war in 1914, the mill was requisitioned by the Leeds rifles, a territorial Army regiment, as a training centre. After the war a lawnmower manufacturer had a machine shop on the lower floor and eiderdowns were made in another part of the mill.
In 1924 the majority of the Dakeyne Estate was auctioned off with the exception of Holt House. The mill was withdrawn at £2200 but was sold a few months later to two brothers, Sidney and Ernest Johnson for £2400. In today's money that was a little over £100,000. The Johnsons were corn millers who ran a successful company which remained in the family until 2010 when the company went into administration. Their occupation had been as long as the Dakeyne's.
On the 27th Sept 2010 a local businessman Sebastian Perez purchased the mill. It is now being rented out to a variety of local business's.